Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Something I learned from J

My husband is the type of guy who always knows everything before you do. I don't know where he finds the time, but somehow he manages to stay on top of every news item (especially the technology related ones) at all hours of the day. He also knows everything about history, economics, and the latest gadgets, but that just makes him a good person to have on your team for trivial pursuit. He also has an uncanny ability to guess what will happen to people we know, which is just creepy. But back to his timely knowledge of all current events...what this means for me is that when I send him articles I think are interesting throughout the day, he invariably has already read them. But what it also means is that he has found some pretty interesting things himself, and sometimes he even passes them along to me.



Most recently, I was in the office while he was watching the Digg video podcast on his computer. I've heard of Digg of course, but I don't often go there because I dislike the format, even though I think the concept is interesting. But what I didn't know was that every week the guy who started Digg and a friend of his who was on Tech TV with him do a video podcast where they drink beers and discuss the top articles on Digg. Since I was in the room while he was watching (I was playing my honeycomb game) I got to listen in, and it was awesome. Yes, I'm a geek, but really it was just like the conversations we have in the halls at work and at the FOT lunch. They discussed Steve Job's latest attempt to lay the blame for Apple's closed music formats on the music industry, they talked about Vista, they covered some strange UI someone developed that lets you have a messy digital desktop to match your real desk, etc. I don't know that I'll actually go to the trouble of turning on the podcast myself, but I would definitely watch over J's shoulder again.

No comments: